After realizing I still had to large jars of stewed tomatoes from my Mother-in-law I decided to search for a recipe for Marinara Sauce to try. Here is what I found. I did write in my variations!
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes ( I used a 26oz jar of stewed tomatoes from my MIL’s garden)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste ( I omitted this)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley ( I just used an Italian Seasoning since I didn’t have any)
- 1 clove garlic, minced ( I used 3)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup white wine ( I used Chicken Broth)
- Sprinkle of Crushed Red Peppers ( I added this)
- In a food processor place Italian tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped parsley, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the blended tomato sauce and white wine.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
It was a huge hit in our home. My husband and I prefer a lighter sauce so once I added the burger to this it was perfect. I will be making it again today or tomorrow and freezing it for next time.
I mark this as SUCCESS!